PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Safety Forum Australia an Oz must participate.
Old 8th Aug 2002, 05:29
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
I really would like to think that your average day to day young flying instructor and the young hopefuls who are churned out from the myriads of small and large flying schools around Australia, will obtain some good out of the this new flight safety initiative. These are the people that need flight safety education - not the well established big aircraft operators who already have access to lots of in-house reading material.

But from what I saw at the various flight safety forums run over the past 5-10 years it is the young generation who are conspicious by their absence. Lots of grey bearded old fogies like me turn up because we are interested in learning more about flight safety - but at week-ends when the forums are held, the young instructors are to be found drinking coffee at their local flying school waiting for the elusive TIF or flogging the circuit at Moorabbin or Point Cook.

The greatest flight safety organ of its day was Mac Jobs wonderful Flight Safety Digest. It was chokka full of juicy accident reports. It had none of the slick mumbo jumbo of CRM, Safety Management for Exceutives and all that somewhat nebulous stuff that spouts from well-intentioned writers - but which leaves one wondering "What I have learned of real flight safety value".

If this new you beaut flight safety organisation wants to get the flight safety message across then it needs to push safety education into the flying schools in a positive way - and that is a Flight Safety Digest type publication. Why not run re-prints of Flight Safety Digest - the causes of accidents haven't changed at all in the last thirty years. The Mac Job editorials were a delight to read - no bland "mustn't blame the pilot approach"- but readable and straight to the point.