PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rex - Engine Shutdown
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2002, 00:23
compressor stall

Received 150 Likes on 67 Posts
The alternate view.....

Be thankful the ABC got hold of it. Although they are not perfect, if one of our other 'esteemed' aviation expert reporters had reported it, it may have read like this:
____

13 Rex Passengers Seconds From Death.

Troubled new airline Regional Express plane has made an emergency landing at Sydney Airport overnight after one of its engines exploded.

A spokesman for the Civil Aviation Safety Authority says the pilot of the Saab 340 jet aircraft had to shut down one of the engines, just 20 nautical miles from Sydney Airport.

The crippled plane, carrying 13 passengers, landed safely at Sydney Airport and all emergency services were in full swing for the Drama.

One of the passengers, Brian a fitter and turner from Arlington said, "I thought we were going to die". I was looking out the window and bang, all this smoke and noise. The aircraft plummetted and swerved, and everyone was screaming. I am never going to fly again."

Witnesses to the emergency said most passengers, although unharmed were visibly shaken.

The near tragedy comes just days after the release of a report into a high speed descent of another Saab 340 jet which nearly hit the ground a few months ago.

The airline was not available for comment last night.

--------------------

I am almost afraid to watch this morning's television news for fear of being proved right.