PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airtanker reservist pilots
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2010, 21:16
Rigga

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
From what I understand of the manning of ATrs the mil/civ split would enable the experienced mil staff to train the civ staff to the right standards under a sort of in-house TRTO arrangement. In return the civ staff will teach the mil staff how to fly large airliner types properly.

This interchange of training could also enable some of the lesser qualified mil staff to volunteer for ATrs and get qualified for a future career - in the same way that all the inexperienced military maintenance and engineering staff will be/are being given specific (and Bonded) training and qualifications to enable their work on this fleet - but they will be overseen by better qualified and more experienced civil maintenance and engineering staff and will work to civ rules at all times- even when it means restricting or denying flights due to MEL limits.

All of the technical and business management will be airline and commercially experienced personnel. No military. Military staff will be involved in the operational management system, but under EU-OPS management rules except for those (if any) aircraft with military registration.

As for the reputation of Ryanair? They have the best flying rate I've ever seen for 737 - I remember the Buzz "fleet" of 6 aircraft all doing 11 sectors per day and it didn't take long for O'Leary's mob to buy the maintenance programme and catch up.

As far as I know none of the Ryanair Fleet has ever done a 'D' Check - O'Leary gets rid of them by then as it costs too much.

...and I've never met any crew, civ or mil, that were totally happy with their lot.

Last edited by Rigga; 25th Aug 2010 at 21:21. Reason: missed a word out!