PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airblue down near Islamabad
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2010, 17:06
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
aterpster,

My comments weren't directly aimed at you, more to others reading this thread who maybe don't have the benefit of your knowledge & experience. Apologies if it seemed that way.

...my considered view, shared by lots of safety experts, that the circle-to-land maneuver is a very demanding maneuver, especially in minimal weather conditions and in a jet transport aircraft.
I sort of agree, only it is still one of the necessary tools in the armoury of a professional pilot. These approaches do exist (I've had to do three in the last two days in the 777! Unusual, I'll admit...) and, with suitable training and realistic minima, can be executed safely (which also includes throwing them away).

Part of me wants to say "yes, do away with circling approaches for jets, just too much risk/difficulty" and the other part wants to say "a jet pilot should be competent in all manoeuvres expected of him". After all, "I just can't cope with engine failures" doesn't fast-track you through an LPC/OPC... Same should apply to circling, *while it's a recognised, approved and sometimes only method of landing at certain aerodromes*

On the day, if you're not sure and full of dread at the idea of a CTL, then take the tailwind or divert. It's not compulsory to 'have a go', apart from in the sim...