PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airtanker reservist pilots
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2010, 15:28
Whippersnapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, your opinion I'll ignore. Ryanair and easyJet pilots are among the most sought after by the legacy airlines, as the targeting of both by Virgin, BA and Emirates has demonstrated for some time. The airlines may have a bad way of treating their staff, but that doesn't mean their pilots aren't good - they have very high quality experience in the airline world, given how many sectors they operate into postage stamp airports in mountainous regions, using non-precision approaches to contaminated runways. The legacy carriers don't do that.

With 10,000 hours flying for those two, I think I have more experience of multi-engine jet ops than a lot of service pilots, but if you can't do anything but slag of your civil colleagues then I hope you find yourself unemployed soon.

I was in the RAF and got about half way through pilot training before being chopped, but times were tough in the mid 90s and only a few of the 50 pilots recruited that year made it to the end - too many defence cuts and a lot of front line guys extending their commissions because the recession meant there were few airline jobs (sounds familiar, doesn't it), meant that they had to chop students left right and centre because of the backlogs in the system.

For what it's worth, I have flown with ex-RAF truckies, and their quality has been quite varied, just like within the airline world, and some of them have seemed to show pretty poor ability, so let's have less of the arrogance.