PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airtanker reservist pilots
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2010, 12:39
Squirrel 41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEagle

Squirrel 41, you can bet that there would be fairly punitive financial terms attached if that happened.
AFAIK, it's rather more complex than it looks on the financing side. The NAO report suggests that buying the jets will cost £75m, along with the costs of the ground works and the posh new shed at BZN. It's going to be interesting to see how the numbers fall out based on the demand for AAR from the post SDSR front line, especially if the FJ fleet contracts signficantly.

And given that the NAO tellus that the self-protection suite will ensure that Timmy needs to keep flogging out to Afghanland for a while yet (2016? 2018?), the number of A330K and their delviery schedule should all be up for grabs - meaning that buying out the contract with ATr looks like better value as it increases flexibility.

And for TS

Maybe - but then the RAF would still be flying them sixty years later when completely clapped out and inefficient. At least with the PFI plan, at the end of the lease-term, they will replaced by new aircraft.
Do you have any evidence for this? IF (and I stress a very big IF) the contract runs through to termination (and I'd be really surprised if this was the case), I suspect the MoD would probably buy the jets at that point.

S41