PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To the glider muppets who ruined the Reds display at Silverstone.
Old 25th Aug 2010, 10:49
shortstripper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a shame so many on here seem to love glider bashing! Yep the bust was bad, but one thread down as I write this, is another about a GA pilot busting the Reds display as well

I started as a glider pilot but have flown GA for the best part of the 20 years since. Last year I went back to do a bit of gliding and had forgotten how to use my eyes! I thought my lookout was good .... How wrong I was! Glider pilots have skills many GA pilots don't, and vice versa. We tend to become honed at the skills we use the most and then expect others to be just as good, but forget that we may lack skills in other areas, that others would expect us to have.

We are all lovers of the air. We need to respect the rights of others to fly their particular aircraft and the right to airspace needed to allow it. Even the best pilots have been know to make mistakes and bust airspace. How it's dealt with needs to be proportional and not vindictive. Clearly in this case, an in depth review of "why?" is needed ... but a single aircraft popping up in the wrong place at the wrong time presents just as much danger and just as worthy of scrutiny.

SS