PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To the glider muppets who ruined the Reds display at Silverstone.
Old 24th Aug 2010, 23:10
Jim59

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know nothing about gliding but do know that many UK gliding sites are marked on the charts as cable hazards to in excess of 3000ft.
Can cables really go this high? or does this hazard just relate to tow releases?Allowing for the slant angle at time of cable release it would seem to necessitate runway lengths well in excess of 1000metres?
My site has approval to winch up to 3,000'. I've been to 2,700' on the winch.

As a glider pilot I'm pretty embarrassed by the infringements of the red arrows RAT. Having looked at the task set (available on the web) the outbound and return tracks are unforgivably close to the RAT. It should never have been set. Although gliders are using GPS technology most will not have the NOTAMed areas shown on a moving map so in many cases eyeball has to be used to judge distance in such a case. The task should have been set to give a minimum of 5 miles clearance between the RAT and the task track. This was not the case.

If court cases result it should be the task setter as well as the pilots facing the music.