PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airtanker reservist pilots
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2010, 19:58
Whippersnapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airtanker reservist pilots

I am wondering what the general feeling is from RAF aircrew towards the Airtanker plan of having a mix of serving military aircrew and civilian reservists alongside.

I was previously (and relatively briefly) the holder of a "proper" commission, but have worked in the airlines for the last decade. While I don't like the principle of the Armed Forces being reliant on contractors and PFIs, and believe that the budget (and its distribution) should allow the three Services to be able to conduct their operations without external civilian support of this nature, it does interest me as I think it could be a far more satisfying job than taking drunk benefits claimants on holiday.

I have no idea what the remuneration packages would be as Airtanker haven't published any indications, but if they want to attract experienced jet airliner pilots, it'll be quite different from what the RAF crews are on, which I suspect would be a major source of friction. I also wonder about the impression that people like me would be encouraging more cuts and mis-spending of the budget, undermining the RAF from within, and that as a reservist on a "plastic" commission (despite having previously held a real one), could be considered as an outsider with nothing useful to contribute.

Does anyone have a view?