PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Qualification in the UK a waste of money?
Old 24th Aug 2010, 02:05
FlyingStone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my opinion, the night qualification with single-engine piston aircraft is basically useless anywhere in the world.

For example, given the terrain is many times unsuitable for forced landing at day, imagine how would you choose and approach it at moonless night? Not to mention, the weather has to be almost perfect (imagine that in the UK), if you want to do a safe VMC flight at night, since clouds aren't visible until you enter them and see strobe lights reflections in front of you. Night flying in all requires extensive pre-flight preparation, since you cannot (well, you can, I for one wouldn't) fly through narrow valleys at night, and since terrain isn't visible, it's very smart to fly at least 500 ft above the highest obstacle in the vicinity of expected flight path. And in order to do so, you need very good weather (high ceilings, great visibility).

Flying in at night in a single-piston is just not what I consider standard/normal ops, since in my opinion, risk simply cannot be managed to the same standard than in day conditions.