PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi Crew Pilot License(MPL) thoughts.....?
Old 23rd Aug 2010, 15:15
potatowings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reading the comments further, I get the impression that people seem to think the primary role of the right hand seat of a jet is to give low time pilots experience. It is not there for this reason.

The right hand seat of a jet is there because it is required due to the complexity of the job at hand AND when required to provide system redundancy. When one engine fails, there is another engine to keep us flying until we can land safely. When one PFD fails, there is another one to keep us flying until we can land safely. When a pilots single heart fails (poor system design, no redundancy) then there is another pilot there to keep us flying until we can land safely.

The right hand seat of a jet is there to provide a system cross check between the two crews and to provide redundancy in the event of incapacitation. Incidentally, incapacitation is not just caused by a serious medical complaint. I have seen it where one crew member develops diarrhea after a night stop. They are ineffective as a crew member and thus the flight is more or less single pilot. I have seen 1 case and heard of several where a crew member becomes overloaded during the later stages of a flight. This takes the other pilot to help unload them and take some of the work.

A pilot with experienced operating in the pre-defined simulator training that is becoming more and more popular with these new licences will be hard pressed to behave the same way as a pilot that has been required to gain at least some experience in single pilot flying where a workload overload is not an option.

The other benefit of flying in the right hand seat is to provide experience to work a pilot up to command. Learning to make decisions and experiencing several scenarios at the hand of experienced Captains is fantastic.

It concerns me greatly that the right hand seat is being viewed as a learning environment in normal operations rather than a professional environment with a fully competent and capable experienced pilot. The 'right seat pilot' should be a Captain in waiting, not a co-pilot in training.

Just my 2p's worth.