PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 8
Thread: MANCHESTER - 8
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2010, 10:02
Skipness One Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So come on, yes, MAN has had better days (with QF/CX/SAA and so on), but for the size of city MAN is compared to AMS/MAD/LON etc, we have a lot to be proud of!
Why do you say this?
Compare a multi stop service with QANTAS or Cathay to a one stop service with EK, QR or EY. These are MAN's best days, it amazes me that people just don't see it. Just because the legacy flag carriers have retreated into alliances doesn't mean the competitions is second rate, they're often better!

Correct me if I'm wrong but Eithad are using high Y low C B77Ws at the moment, the sort they used to use at Gatwick. F class was introduced on the back of the Singapore stop at Munich and I don't think it adds a whole lot really as if you can afford to fly First it's silly to fly MAN-MUC-SIN-destination when you can lose at least one stop via LHR / AMS / FRA etc.

Though parking an A380 at the end of a pier built for the BEA One-Eleven fleet where arrivals and departures are on the same level and at busy times has a pile of Thomas Cook and Jet2 punters, well nothing's going to go wrong there. If only you had a purpose built large capacity building that was designed for wide bodies...one that sits empty for much of the day. If only, if only..... Actually having seen the two airbridges in position, can someone confirm that one of them is upper deck capable and that they're not both going to be used on the lower deck?

Anyway my weekend trip LHR-MAN threw up two queries for me.
1) Why does the Tower controller have to ask what SID all departing aircraft has been given by Clearance Delivery who presumably sits nearby? Surely this is on the screen in front of him or does MAN just have adouble check for sleepy pilots?
2) When did the taxiway layout at MAN become so complicated. I usually note my route in and out ( Yes I am unusual, we've established that) and I actually got lost even with the AIS chart on my lap. It made CDG look straightforward!

Last edited by Skipness One Echo; 23rd Aug 2010 at 10:19.