PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna C208 RPT Wages
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2010, 13:41
baron_beeza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I realise we are talking salary structures and the like here. Sure each aircraft type, role and location probably demands it's own pay and conditions....and in my experience probably does.
I have worked in many countries and on more than a few continents in the world,- I am not so sure I have seen being a pilot as a profession.

As stated a CPL is often gained in a year or so.. and the exams and requirements are not at all difficult.
I see many in the industry as part timers and I have flown alongside fireman pilots, policeman pilots and even a judge pilot.... many here will know that one company.
If we believe most people posting on this site are Commercial Pilots then the level of education is well apparent. Spelling, grammar and logical thinking are variable.... and that is putting it politely. Not anywhere near I would class a professional level of competency.

I have been around for many years and have seen the stepping stone nature of the industry. The pay is there, it is always on the next step up. same with engineers and their conditions.
The cyclic nature of the business affects the ease of changing steps, or position, within the industry. ie it is easier to get paid more because you have stepped up one rung.

hmmmm.. I guess in the good times guys get there a little quicker than expected... in fact quicker than we all expect.

hmmmm.. professionals.....I don't think so somehow.