PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish Airlines hiring First Officers
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2010, 02:24
Vortex Thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

captkirk3000 Has any first officers who are typed rated in the B737 been hired at Turkish Airlines?
Yes but not very many! ( I personally know 3 FOs who are joining) I also know at least 12 who got turned down!!!

Lots and lots of Captains getting hired and not that many FOs. I know a few from my airline who have gone and I hope to join them. I'll tell you when I get back!!

As for levels of experience the guys from my airline who went were between 1500 and 4000hrs TT mostly >1500hrs B737 NG or EFIS all well established FOs who ended up at ARA due to redundancy. There seems little commonality or reason as to those who were selected as they all seem much of a muchness as most of us have flown with each other at some time or other and accepting that people will perform differently in interview the process itself whilst time consuming has not been billed as arduous.

To clear up the degree business. Crisp 2 stop talking rubbish a degree in some countries may be something that you get in high school but it is more than clear that what they are referring to is who we in Europe call University and what the US guys call college i.e where you go from 18-21/22 to get a Bachelors Degree. It was originally a requirement but much like other requirements i.e. JAA licence only it has now been sadly widened (cue the argument) Now you need to to have finished school. i.e gotten to 18yrs old in your countries equivalent.

They have however stipulated that if you have a degree you will get paid more than those who don't.

Re Capt Kirk's question I do not know any one form colleagues who did not have a type rating (either A320 or B737) who has gotten an interview but to be honest would be surprised if they needed to. There are a shed load of type rated pilots with 500hrs on type who are looking for work closer to home than Africa and or the Far East who either cannot, do not want to or haven't got the hours for Qatar, Etihad and MRats. I cannot imagine even needing 300 FOs and 300 Capts will force them to start paying for type ratings any time soon when they have a pretty large flight academy in house which is ramping up to produce those pilots who will replace the expats currently being hired in the long run. (Again rightly so)

Good luck to those from ARA who make it there