PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SCMP Cadet Article
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2010, 01:22
Dragon69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the most important thing from any pilot is passion to fly
You are missing the point! What does passion of flying have to do with any aspect of airline flying??? Reminds me of that old joke where a bush pilot overhears an airliner on the radio and says "hey xxx airlines what don't you come down here where the real flying is", to which the captain relies "why don't you come up here where the real money is"...how the hell would a Cathay cadet on the radio reply when there is no real flying and there is no real money?????

I ask any of you guys to honestly say that you would have turned down the cadet program when you were starting out with 0- 50hrs
At 41 years old with a wife and two kids and giving up a HKD $100k a month salary??? you bet your bottom dollar I would have turned it down. This sounds about as silly as a mid 40s man joining the army!!!!

There is no way that someone in their mid 40s that had an established career is going to last five years sitting on the jump seat as an SO earning peanuts. Sooner or later the novelty will wear off and they will leave having ticked the box under airline pilot. This only serves to cheapen our profession!

Can't help but think that this is nothing more than a selfish attitude, fits a banker's profile perfectly. So if his wife tells him that it was her dream of becoming a Hollywood actress, will he give up everything, become a waiter in some run down diner in LAX and support her??

Last edited by Dragon69; 19th Aug 2010 at 01:44.