PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi Crew Pilot License(MPL) thoughts.....?
Old 18th Aug 2010, 13:56
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've thought more about this issue today and JP_Safety makes a good point. As a fare paying pap, you need to have a flight crew are are frightened/concerned enough not to do anything really stupid. The bright young things, newly graduated from their academies, have not been exposed to enough unpleasantness to make them wary or at least spot the warning signs. An MPL's experience will be even less. Yet our training system does nothing to help bridge the experience gap. The current CPL training system is basically pointless. Spend enough and you can get virtually any plonker through the hoops. So may I suggest that the twin flying, instrument flying, CPL handling and MCC elements of CPL courses are all scrapped and replaced with an initial Multi-crew aircraft type rating. Here you will learn how to fly a twin (or triple etc.), fly multi-crew and a type which you will be paid on. Make it so that only airline company employees can do the course. Then thousands will be saved by all. Airlines will have the employees they want, prospective employees will no longer waste vast amounts of cash on pointless type ratings and the training will be more relevant.

Yes! there are fairies are at the bottom of my garden.