PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi Crew Pilot License(MPL) thoughts.....?
Old 17th Aug 2010, 12:33
JP_Safety

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A CPL/IR - MPL fusion?

This is an interesting topic. I did some research in to the MPL for my dissertation a couple of years ago. Without going in to detail, I think that there are benefits to it over the current CPL/IR route. However, let me point out that I am an MPL sceptic.

I don't claim to have the answer to flight training, but what I do know is that pilot training has not had any fundamental changes made to it since the Chicago Convention in 1944. I think that it is outdated when you consider that in 1944 the most common airliner was a DC-3, not an A320.

I am of the belief that some sort of fusion between the current CPL/IR system and the MPL needs to occur - I do not have the authority nor the experience to say what the best alternative is (I'm a Flight Data Analyst with a PPL), but does anyone agree that something needs to change in order to provide new low-hour FO's with the best possible training, for both multi-crew and single-crew operations?

I just don't like the idea of going to the likes of CTC/OAA/FTE etc on an 18 month ab initio course and not doing any multi-crew flying until 13/14 months have gone by and I've got a CPL/IR.