PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying "N" reg in the Channel Islands on a JAA licence
Old 17th Aug 2010, 10:03
mm_flynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OA32
Cathar is correct the UK ANO does not apply in the CICTR so should not be referenced and you should check the Jersey (and where relevant the Guernsey) ANO....

mm_flynn

There is no such thing as a Channel Island issued licence or medical, most PPL's have JAA licences issued by the UK CAA and there are local AME's who issue medicals on behalf of the CAA and FAA where required.
I was fairly sure that was true. It puts one in a slightly odd position that the Channel Islands are not (I think) a Contracting State and they don't issue licences, but they do issue regulations. As such, it is not that clear what Country (as defined by the FAA) the CI are and if they are not the UK, then the CI is a country which does not issue licences and hence N-Reg operation is only legal with an FAA rating.

The general structure of the UK ANO, which stretches its authority in a number of areas to cover the IOM and CI, would suggest the CI is not really a separate country and as such a UK licence (which is what one gets if one passes ones test in the CI) is the licence issued by the country of operation (i.e. the CI). The FAA considers as valid for operations a licence issued by the country of operation, which should tick th box in the quoted CI regs (assuming the CI are part of the country of the UK from the perspective of licence issue)

The opinion of the UK and CI regulators is not technically relevant as the licence requirements of an N-reg are defined solely by the US. However, the US will in all likelihood only prosecute at the request of the CI/UK authorities. As such, if the UK/CI are happy, you are from a practical perspective good to go, even if technically the operation would be illegal under US law (as you have no real chance of being prosecuted)