PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA Pilot busts Red Arrows at Eastbourne
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2010, 07:21
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nigel - I am aware the AIC is online, and the airshow TRAs usually come with pics.

But this is OK for "locals". (but even then it can take a while to find the pink/mauve/violet/white/whatever AIC with the pic in it, and I think you still need to create a login to the website if coming in at the root).

Internationally, almost nobody reads the AIP/AICs. Most pilots file IFR, brief using their own services, use Jepp in-flight data, and expect an ATC service even if going to a field which is OCAS. In the UK this doesn't happen (another long debate why, but it is pointless) so it should be the duty of the notam originator to provide a pointer to the website.

Sometimes they do, but in this case they don't (as of yesterday, when I flew in the area).

The basic issue, which surfaces at some many levels in light aviation (see e.g. the interminable AFPEx debates) is a lack of acceptance of the internet. Nearly every excuse for not doing something comes down to this.

The 0500 # probably cannot be dialed from many countries. This issue arises with fax2email services using non-geographical numbers (eg. using 0870 to finance the service) and is well established. Aviation is international and 0500 was a stupid idea.