PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC145
Thread: EC145
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2010, 18:06
maxtork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well from what I have heard this COULD be a good thing. The engines really aren't the limiting factor until you start to get up in altitude as you are torque limited until you get up there. I have heard that the weak link is not the main gearbox but in fact the intermediate gearbox which would be replaced by the fenestron. So this mod may allow more power from the engines to be used at lower altitudes should EC decide to certify it this way. Also most of our 145s are nose heavy so I don't know how the weight and distribution of the fenestron compares to the original tail rotor. Would be nice to eliminate one gearbox and push the weight a little further aft to help the CG. Based on the picture posted the tailboom is in fact different as it does not have the omega channels on the outside. One would expect it to be stronger. If this is the case then maybe they will be able to allow doors off ops now. I am told that this is currently not a good idea because the turbulence from the cabin with the doors off acts on the tail boom too much and drastically shortens its life. With a stronger boom maybe this is not the case anymore? Not that most EMS aircraft need to fly doors off but it would make the aircraft more suitable for other missions.

We shall see!

Max