PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Airline to Corporate World
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2010, 16:04
johns7022

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought I would add that flying a plane is flying a plane...everyone can try to hash out the best way to do it....but in corporate the guy in the back is going to decide if your getting it done or not....no union protection, no seniority, no grievance process, no personal days where you stay home,with a thousand other guys to jump in when your 'not feeling well'. He can call you in and can you just like that and without real cause. You have zero job security, especially if you don't know what your doing.

And that leads to a conversation about why some flight departments last 40 years some last 2. Another thread.

I know for sure that some small organizations, a relationship with just you and boss, leads to some guys running back to fractionals, large charter departments, and airlines...tired not only of being somewhat alone, without any structure or support, but also tired of always trying to figure out if the boss is 'happy'...because your job depends on that...it's a real downfall of corporate aviation.

Some guys have more of a military mindset, a team orientation, and always defer to 'getting help' from the captain, sic, the boss, the aviation dept manager, chief pilot...and deferring so much of their jobs away, that they can't or wont make a decision anymore...which conflicts with what boss wants you to do...I know guys that went back to SIC tired of dealing with mechanics, being the guy the boss calls on a Saturday night, getting asked some random question about the flight dept..

Seriously, anyone going corporate needs to decide if they are type of guy that needs those meetings and memos detailing where the new coffee cups need to be stored, they need the help, they like the structure of a SOPs manual taking away and independent decision process, so they are off the hook...or they want to be independent and take the consequences of a good or bad call.