PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Airline to Corporate World
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2010, 03:02
galaxy flyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My operation has 33 pilots at two locations, a mix of everything--ex-mil heavy transports, fighters, civil airline only, both regional and major, former corporate--that work out fine. At least one guy came direct from fighters, some had airline time. The list of planes is C-5, C-130, A-10, F-18, T-37, CE-500, B757, B727, B767, A320, CRJ, some grew within the department from small planes. It all depends on an good work ethic, willingness to learn, not being afraid to ask questions and learn from the answers.

The one piece advice I have is interview them just as they interview you. As opposed to airlines, you will live the department, spend a lot of time with the guys on the other side of the table; it is very much like a AF flying squadron. If someone's son goes to hospital, you might be called to fill-in and you might benefit when your's goes to the hospital or you need a favor. If everyone plays golf and you don't--be careful. You might spend 6 days staying with one guy, breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is more like marriage than airline flying. A 2 or 3 pilot, single plane operation would scare or bore me, personal opinion.

Ask if they have a Flight Operations Manual with detailed SOPs, are they IS-BAO certified or seeking it, what is there training program, are all pilots fully type rated or are new guys SIC-qual'd (US only) and, if international, do they have a regular handling service provider? If there are a lot of "no" answers I'd submit, they are not a first rank operation. First rank flight departments are just as safety-oriented and organized as any airline.

GF