PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Arann runway incursion in Dublin
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2002, 09:39
HugMonster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a very high incidence of runway incursions @ DUB. The IAA have been putting pressure on Aer Rianta for quite some time now to upgrade the taxyway markings (poor), lighting (poor to atrocious) and designation (comic-opera standard), as have ATC there.

The problem is that the markings are up to ICAO specifications, so Aer Rianta don't see why they should spend the money on making them over-spec.

They ignore, of course, that ICAO specifications are a minimum, and a minimum which is woefully inadequate.

Paris CDG learnt very quickly that, for a complex airport to be safe, the markings need to be of a much better quality than ICAO minimum, and upgraded theirs. In my time as FSO at Gill I reckoned that CDG and DUB were the two most dangerous airports we operated to.

There is no noticeable effect @ DUB of language between ATC and any particular operator.

"Carpeting" crews involved in runway incursions is not sensible, and I would be surprised if it happened. As soon as there appears to be blame and punishment in investigations, you will stop hearing about errors, and stop learning how to avoid them, so that was a silly comment to make. If people were provably negligent, then fair enough. But not until then. Even CPs are not immune from committing runway incursions!