PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ABERDEEN
Thread: ABERDEEN
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2010, 19:30
Skilly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE]With over 2yrs of continuing contraction, how does ABZ arrest the fall in passenger numbers? Is it really a case of attracting new routes to stimulate growth? Fully embrace the low cost concept? Or has that passed ABZ by?

I am not a fan of BAA, but it can't be easy sometimes trying to attract new routes & airlines - always seems to be one step forward but at least two back!

Should they change tack & try to attract more GA & biz movements? Be more receptive to expanding freight ops?

(or persuade BAA to sell ABZ off...)/QUOTE]

Cactus, I agree with you in the fact ABZ needs to have a complete revamp as it does indeed look like a fag packet of an airport. I have read many stories in the local press about a runway extension, flights direct to Houston etc etc just don't hold your breath. I can just imagine a 767 unloading pax into the cattle shed of the terminal. Quite clearly if ABZ is to develop it needs to expand. Does the skint council in Aberdeen get involved, doubtful, possibly the oil industry in Aberdeen can help; but expanding is probably not on the radar for BAA, with EDI and GLA "just down the road".

My opinion is BAA are paying lip service to ABZ and as long as the LHR, LGW and Norwegian flights continue to fly in who cares. As Richard Taylor mentions in his post; should ABZ embrace the low cost route?

A few years ago I used to use the Ryanair route to LPL and at £22 rtn it was scandalously cheap. At the moment (correct me if I am wrong) the Low Cost boys only fly to LTN and DUB, but take a look at what routes are open from GLA and EDI, one could argue ABZ is in the catchment area for those Low cost routes. As one who works away from Aberdeen but returns at the weekend I would love the Low Cost boys to serve Aberdeen with more routes as the competion would drive prices down.

A few years ago Ryanair tried to negotiate more routes to/from MAN but in the words of MAN management "they made us an offer we could refuse". I am sure ABZ have tried with Ryanair and EasyJet (you must be stupid not to) to get more routes but not at the expense of getting shafted and cheesing off current airlines.