PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Tiger Tales
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2010, 02:14
hongkongfooey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh yeh you'd have to be a real sucker to take a significant pay-rise from being an F/O here to a skipper in Singapore, paying much less tax, enjoying your days off anywhere on the Tiger network for cheap (beaches in Phuket, markets in Bangkok, Vietnam, China, India) getting some International flying experience and breaking the monotony of flying Sydney and Gold Coast runs day in, day out...
Sounds like you've had the pep talk already BP how do you reckon that will work for a married guy with kids ? and if Tiger Oz are flush for Captains at the end of 2 years are they just going to (A) absorb the extra (B) demote the existing Oz Captains or (C) make you wait til a spot available ( I choose (c)

Unfortunately, the labor government recently changed the tax laws. This means (for most people who go on temporary/short term) if you pay less tax overseas, you will then have the pay additional tax to Australia. Therefore you will be paying the same tax as in Australia.
John this is only true for people out of the country for less than 183 days ( plus some other bits the commies, I mean Labour introduced ) and if you earn money in a country that has no tax treaty. With the Tiger SIN roster there will be no issue with spending more than 183 days out of Oz and it would be for at least 2 years. I work in HK and I can assure you I am not paying Oz tax.

Just remember when considering this " golden " opportunity the AUD is significantly stronger than SGD ( 1AUD = 1.22SGD ), cost of housing, car, medical and education 20-30% higher in SIN.

Cheers