PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So where are all the jobs then?
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2010, 20:04
v6g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think he is being sarcastic - at least his opinions resonate with mine.

While the aviation industry struggles through it's necessary rumblings I'm more than happy working in my back-up career, earning good money with good benefits & a stress-free lifestyle.

This was so clearly going to be a very bad time to be entering the industry, the warning signs couldn't have been clearer.

For every schmuck who chooses to pay an airline for the pleasure of playing with their planes, they're providing massive subsidies for my vacations & business travel. If people are happy to pay to fly me around then I'm only too happy to take them up on that offer.

The icing on the cake for me is that by taking out massive loans for the package, they're ensuring that they will be working hard for the majority of their working lives to pay me hefty dividends on my bank stocks. If there is a plentiful supply of suckers out there who are prepared to work to benefit me in this way, for nothing in return for themselves, then I'm tempted to say I actually encourage it. It's a free world. It's their choice - they were free to do so, or not, as they please.

The difference is one of professional outlook. I don't place the emphasis on simply partaking in the activity - I place a heavy weight on being remunerated appropriately for me to be willing to take part. If the status quo in aviation becomes the norm then I'm equally happy to keep flying as a hobby and stick to my original career. I'm equally content with that. Aviation is not the only rewarding activity in this world. I'm enthused by all those cheap flights to sunny destinations funded largely by what is effectively voluntary slave labour. All the while the participants are contributing to my retirement fund with those interest payments. It's a capitalists dream.

The comparison with a surgeon doesn't hold any ground I'm afraid. It takes far greater time, intellect and expense to train a surgeon than a pilot and a surgeon has no direct interest in the customers future (other than hospital league tables). Once the door of the aircraft is closed, the pilot and the passengers destinies are inseparable (to quote EK Gann). Survival instinct transcends remuneration packages.