PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airblue down near Islamabad
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2010, 10:46
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lonewolf 50:

Thank you for summarizing why I have stopped flying as a passenger unless absolutely necessary. That viewpoint, and its acceptance in the aviation industry. Not your fault, but the state of being that this paragraph describes makes me puke. I shall cross reference the discussion on rudder reversals and AA 587 and conclude that all the pilot is for in the airline is to provide a scapegoat on demand, eh? (Yes, a bit of sarcasm there, sorry ... ) Grrrr. Time turn time transition ... basic airmanship, the fundamentals.
When did you get your instrument rating? I got mine in 1958 and flew four-course range procedures as well as VOR without DME. And, when ATC had radar identification was done with turns, sometimes into mountains. I flew a lot of light G/A time then was with TWA from 1964 through 1990.

I wouldn't think about going back to some of the lousy stuff earlier in my career. Today's modern air carrier aircraft, used by competent pilots, is a modern wonder compared to the past.

Also, I have stated my position on hand-flying skills on this forum many times.

As to circle-to-land getting you home, there were times I was happier getting home the next day.