PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fed up with this career
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2010, 21:29
initial vector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mcdonalds

Well, I wouldn't mind working for Mcdonalds!
coffeelovesmilk.com | pilot jobs worldwide

All kidding aside though, KBPsen makes a valid point. Not many have been in the position to ever come across a pilots' shortage... However there have been several. Last one was in 2007!
Several airlines were hiring, Netjets nearly doubled their pilot numbers. Contract- and freelance pilots were raising their prices and airlines couldn't find enough captains to fill their empty seats. Granted, the mayority of these empty seats were to be filled with captains, but that would open the market for F/O's as well.
I write "would open" as, unfortunately, due to the fact that the crisis hit hard and fast(er than expected) in 2008 the F/O's never got to profit from that vacuum.

In fact, I think it is obvious F/O's got screwed the hardest... The supposed vacuum created by migrating captains and upgraded F/O's was hacked-to-pieces by cutbacks instead. The once-so-desired captains were made redundant to cut costs and the P2F schemes were introduced for the fresh cadets.
Brilliantly done by the airline managers! You would almost think it was planned that way....... No, let's not start another conspiracy theory...

I hope BA is right about the upcoming pilot shortage of 2014, but as KBPsen so eloquently put it: it is a fabled one...

Last edited by initial vector; 11th Aug 2010 at 18:47.