PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch-Engine fire Birmingham UK
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2010, 09:19
Ancient Mariner

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
I was a passenger on a SK, B767 flight Beijing-Copenhagen sometime in the nineties when one of the engines shed a number of blades while climbing north of Beijing. The vibrations were incredible and I actually believed that some external panels were loose and flapping in the wind as I simply could not believe that a imbalanced turbine would be able to vibrate the whole aircraft to such an extend.
No information was given from the flight deck, but the vibrations and the speed of the CC as they shuttled up and down the ails were a clear indication of something being not entirely right. After what seemed like an eternity, probably a few minutes, the offending engine was brought down to idle and the vibrations subsided somewhat, indicating to me at least that the problem was engine related. Quite a bit later the Captain came on the PA to inform us that they had a bit of stalling, that he had reduced power on the concerned engine, that it was nothing to worry about and that we could, if he would continue to Copenhagen, but that he had decided to return to Beijing. Yeah, right.
Morale? When you finally decide to provide information, don't lie.
Per