PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Balpa
Thread: Balpa
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2002, 13:15
Agaricus bisporus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What you have to remember is that WE are BALPA!

WE are the ONLY ones who can affect the outcome of our dealings via our Company Reps. If WE do not support those Reps nothing will happen.

There seems to be a strange feeling about that BALPA can somehow wave a magic wand and the desired result occurs. Thats nonsense. I say again, WE are BALPA. Sure they will give great suport to the Reps when they need advice, trained negotiators or legal help, but they cant help those who won't help themselves. It is also obvious that they cannot achieve the impossible, a category thet many of the demands made of them fall into.

It is also the case that BALPA cannot publicise many of their best successes for legal reasons - ie stipulations attached to out of court settlements. The fact we don't know of all their successes does not mean there are none.

If they seem to achieve more success for BA than other airlines I suspect it is because BA are simply more organised in the union field, apart from having very nearly 100% membership.

As Scottie said we are very bad at sticking together and until we learn to present a unified front we will lose lose lose.

Finally, I cannot pass Miss Managements ill-informed comments by without some reply. MM, BALPA represent the unsupported individual just fine if you have a valid case to answer. I've been there a couple of times. You'll regret leaving their protection if ever you have an accident or incident.

Delivered nothing since 9/11? Perhaps you mean 11/9, never mind. MM, ever heard of a nice little company called Go that is being swallowed up by a nasty orange coloured shark? That orange company has just been disabused of it's rapacious and cynical attempt to relieve Go's employees of about £35 MILLION that is actually their own personal property. (Tried to levy 40% income tax at source on Go shares owned by the employees)

BALPA put a stop to that and now £35M goes direct to those employees and not the coffers of the aforementioned shark. No result my @rse!

Moral...don't believe the cr@p some people talk about BALPA!
Join and get involved instead.