PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delays at YSBK
Thread: Delays at YSBK
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2010, 05:43
iogrsw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delays at YSBK

Would just like to express my disappointment in the new class D procedures at YSBK.

It took 32 minutes the other day to get airborne IFR with 2 IFR departures ahead when ground said there would only be a 10 min delay.

A couple of days later I tried to downgrade to VFR for the departure to reduce the delay and was asked:

"Are you departing visual, VFR departure or downgrading to VFR"

Not quite sure how I departed in the end but did get airborne with less delay.

Arrivals back at BK have been more difficult as well as I have been told to remain clear of the zone because there was another IFR aircraft making an approach. (It was night VMC and a couple of aircraft were conducting circuits). So next night I advised Radar that I would downgrade to VFR approaching 2RN and they replied that my IFR identification was terminated and to squawk 1200 about 30 miles from 2RN.
The next VMC night I was one of 2 IFR aircraft approaching 2RN and we both decided to downgrade to VFR to reduce any delay and were both told to squawk either 1200 or 3000. (The choice was up to us)

It seems to me that these new class D procedures have in fact reduced safety by forcing pilots to be looking in the cockpit changing codes rather than looking out the window at one of the most congested reporting points.

They certainly have resulted in significant delays for departing and arriving IFR aircraft if there happens to be more than one in the zone in VMC.

Reduced safety and increased delays, what was the point?