PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entry to PPL.
Thread: Entry to PPL.
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2010, 10:23
ChampChump

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to world of the cash-strapped, but spiritually fulfilled....

To add to the advice above, please don't dismiss the NPPL, whether microlight or motor-gliding, in your route towards your licence. There may be more of a club atmosphere than can exist at some training establishments, which might not seem pertinent now, but certainly seems to affect people later on, when the initial gloss of the new PPL starts to lose its lustre. I'm sure the 'grass roots' tribes, in various forms, have prevented many falling out of flying when the novelty wears off.

I am not deriding any of the training routes, by the way. I am just very aware of how easy it is to lose the enthusiastic Alexes possibly because they don't get connected with the areas of aviation that might suit them. It's less likely with Forumites, but what of all the rest?

I arrived with my PPL Group A via gliding and then a PPL SLMG. With some hours towards those required granted from the gliding, there was a slight boost psychologically as well. Motor gliders are way cheaper to operate, so much so that my first seven years' ownership was of the venerable Falke, despite having already acquired the group A bit. Hire of a Cub and 150 kept me happy until the day came to change the Falke for a Permit aircraft. Things have changed a little since then, but the equivalent exists.

Had I continued to hire, rather than own, which makes more sense for those flying, say, fewer than 50 years a year, I would have settled eventually in one club or another, I'm sure.