PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airblue down near Islamabad
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2010, 08:30
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I have been 'trawling' the various fora, this post by 'Evan' elsewhere produced this interesting theory.
Ok, theory time:

I've noticed a smaller, decommissioned airstrip alongside the Islamabad Hwy, about 30° off from RWY 30 (red line on my diagram). Is is possible that, after breaking off the RWY30 approach at the VOR and heading away at a 45° vector, the fatigued and/or distracted crew neglected to make the downwind turn in time to come abeam the runway, and, in poor daylight visibility with broken clouds subsequently mistook the older airstrip for OPRN? If so, this would have them heading directly for the Margalla Hills, yet they would still report having the runway in sight. As the hills rapidly came into view (after the last radio transmission), they would attempt to climb and possibly veer off to clear the ridge, but not in time...

It seems unlikely, but if this was a purely visual procedure under stress, and something was distracting them, not impossible.

Total speculation, but I can't help myself.

"I can see the runway and the hills......................................"?????

I feel my money is going that way, and I could probably draft a CVR transcript for you. It may even have been the 'inexperienced' F/O who initiated the pull up?

Last edited by BOAC; 7th Aug 2010 at 09:01.