PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Complaints
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2010, 00:14
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NIMBYS

I spend time at my girlfriend's place, between Petworth & Midhurst West Sussex, where a lot of residents apart from us are very well heeled NIMBYS, and a quite a few of them foreign.

We had Chinooks going over unlit at night quite a lot, which frankly I enjoyed, though said girlfriend got a bit upset when one came over very low & slow.

Sure enough the next issue of the Parish Magazine had people carping about 'being menaced by Chinooks ' ( I suppose at least they recognised the sound ).

I got on to Odiham and explained, and rather than the few handouts or posters I'd hoped for, they were all for sending a team to do a serious talk in the village hall to show what it's all about !

I thought they might have a tiny audience, so put them onto the much larger nearby town of Midhurst; the woman I spoke to at Midhurst Council also seemed a touch negative, saying she'd had a lot of complaints, but was willing re. the talk.

In a perfect world I suppose it would be nice to take these NIMBY's out to the front lines ( Which I'm first to say I haven't been to ) but as that's deemed rude somehow a good presentation seems a great idea.

When Dunsfold was alive the Airfield Manager always kept a record of noise complaints, and as I was sometimes involved in low level A-G photography, the pilot would ask me to confirm the cattle were not being bothered ( otherwise a source of easy income for farmers claiming their animals had been stressed ).

Any local who did complain was given free tickets for the annual 'Field Day' show, and all the local farmers were invited to a cricket match with the Test Pilots & managers, - somehow the farmers won then got drunk for free every time I saw...

10 out of 10 for Odiham PR anyway, great response & attitude.

DZ

Last edited by Double Zero; 8th Aug 2010 at 08:55.