PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RT a Dying Skill....
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2010, 05:53
de facto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just read your CAA relevant RT papers and use them!
There may be few differences between ICAO and JAA but all in all if they are recognized by your relevant authority where is the problem?

I personally think the UK CAA RT is of the highest standard for many reasons and is always improving based on Human errors and potential incidents and pilot recommendations...

Using proper RT is essential in an increasingly busy airspace and not maintaining a proper level of RT is a sign of poor airmanship and lack of professionalism.
If the frequency is very busy and you think the proper phraseology would not be appropriate,just check in with your call sign initially and if ATC is ready for your more info he/she will say some like GO AHEAD and you can revert to std RT.

As an FO a few years back,my captain (from a distant eastern country) had the bad idea to use poor RT during departure...it went like that..

Captain:"Amsterdam departure,#### 123, Airborne"
Amsterdam ATC:"####123,CONGRATULATIONS,say passing altitude"

Needless to say i was so embarrassed i wished i weren't flying that day..

Yesterday flying over Hong Kong FIR:

ATC: "USA airline 123, descend to FL 240"
USA Airline123:"departing 360 4 240"

A few seconds later:USA Airline123:"say again cleared level?"

Obviously his poor RT messed himself up....

Be professional,keep your RT sharp!

About the FULLY READY thing, it may also be due to the fact that even though the flight deck is ready for departure, the CABIN may be not!
It has happened that a HEAVY US airliner in CPH blocked the runway for at least 3 mins because he accepted a line up clearance without its cabin being ready...