PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airblue down near Islamabad
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2010, 20:35
Meekal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
27 years in Islamabad and scores (well...a slight exaggeration) of circling approaches. No one was screaming -- either in the front or the back!

When I said ban it, I agree I was being reflexive and emotional.

The only thing I take from all this is the self-evident truth that IF you fly it by the book and the numbers, you will be fine.

That did not happen this time and Murphy's Law says that will not happen that one time.

So, is the approach inherently unsafe or were these pilots in a fatal screw-up?

CC, I do see your point about the fighter-jock. He had 300 hours on the A321. First flight or second on the line and he has to cope with -- not an unsafe procedure per se -- a very challenging approach in marginal weather with strong winds. He must have been overwhelmed and on that very steep learning curve and as someone suggested he must have been looking down fiddling with his FMGS -- and therefore of no help to his captain.

I have known many jocks and their skills coming from the PAF onto PIA flying are good but variable. Mind you there are many who were great in the PAF and our PAF pilots are highly rated.

The question is whether they make good commercial pilots. Some do. Some never quite get the hang of it.

There was this one guy who really terrified me.

Coming in to land at AMS from the south he kept saying "he is bringing us in from the north" as if to enlighten me.

Talk of spatial/situational unawareness.

When I asked if he wanted the automatics on for the ILS he said "no, I failed my last check-ride", or something to that effect. He was all over the place, weaving back and forth, hand-flying and the controller asked us "Pakistan XXX, are you established"?

All I could say was "Sir, we are establishing right now".

Well, his actual touch-down was featherlight with no excessive flare and probably the best I have experienced!

So, as the American's say, "Go figure".

The next sector to Heathrow was better since he was the PNF. He only admonished me with "Not more than 15 degrees, BOY!" as I rotated on TO.

As for the gentleman who wants a valium, methinks you are too harsh on your comrades. This is what we do here. We ask and we speculate to be sure -- but responsibly I hope -- in the absence of solid evidence to the contrary.

Reticent Mikal