PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch-Engine fire Birmingham UK
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2010, 15:08
Carjockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CATIII-NDB: As for the BBC report if true, am I alone in thinking that prospective PAX should be screened before boarding to weed out the panic ridden, the nervous and the just plain stupid. - A screaming/jumping panic ridden PAX is a bigger threat in a cabin than a contained engine malfunction. Yes I would be frightenerd like everyone else but the Screaming Ab Dabs no chance. Not even if there were snakes on the plane.The screaming/panic ridden soul is a self obsessed individual with no comprehension for the effect of their behaviour on others. Is there a case for public education for (very rare) situations like this.
"

Oh what a hero you are sir! Perhaps you should consider that all PAX (excepting those harbouring immediate suicidal/homicidal intentions) board their flight with the expectation that they will arrive at their destinations safely and in one piece.

The majority of PAX have little technical understanding of aviation, and even if they did, an in-flight engine failure of their aircraft will definitely scare even the most hardened traveller sh**tless.

PAX have no choice other than to rely on the training and experience of the flight crew to handle such situations, and in this case things turned out well, so congrats to the flight crew.

I guarantee that most PAX on this flight will have made a beeline for the nearest bar and/or the lavatories once safely disembarked.

Many of them will not quickly (if ever) forget such an experience.

Flight and cabin crews should remind themselves that, unlike them, the majority of PAX do not routinely launch themselves into space two or three times a day.

In-flight, the safety and lives of PAX rests entirely in the hands of the flight crew.

PAX have become increasingly aware that air travel carries real risks and are therefore (understandably) somewhat more nervous about the whole flying experience than the flight and cabin crew.

CJ.

Last edited by Carjockey; 5th Aug 2010 at 16:13.