PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airblue down near Islamabad
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2010, 14:59
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOAC:

These guys either knew where they were going in which case they were at the wrong altitude or thought they were in the circuit - which they were not. Forget mapping radar, g/a mode, ATC radar, DME arcs.
I would think an in-country air carrier, such as this one, would have all kinds of pointers and "gouges" for the CTL maneuver at the capital city's IAP-deficient airport.

A DME ARC certainly wouldn't be one of them. The geometry alone is bad, with the VOR being 2.2 miles SE of the approach end of Runway ("AER") 12.

Now, a waypoint at the AER of Runway 12 that could be referenced with an RMI in a GPS/RNAV aircraft, would be useful.

I hope we get the official information at some point. That would include what procedures, if any, did the carrier have for this inevitable requirement to land on Runway 12.

Being confined to flying my PC and doing U.S. TERPs these days, I was unaware until this thread that some countries in the region have moved forward with RNAP instrument approach procedures.; SSH and ADD being noteworthy.