PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entry to PPL.
Thread: Entry to PPL.
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2010, 11:28
tggzzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thirdly, I worry about the dreaded 'recover from a stall' this is enough to scare the 'sh*t out of me, but I have the flying bug, I love flying and there's only so many trial lessons a man can do, but the though of stalling freaks me out!
Can I suggest you go to a nearby gliding club (see Welcome to the British Gliding Association). It is a lot cheaper than powered flying and, IMHO, much more fun (and my daughter agrees). In addition it is a great way of getting over a fears of simple aerobatics.

Gliders habitually fly close to the stall speed, including while turning sharply in thermals - on technique in older gliders is to reduce the airspeed until the pre-stall buffet is felt, and then to increase speed by a couple of knots. For this reason, stalling, wingdrops and spinning are a normal part of pre-solo training. I'm sure you'll be overwhelmed by your first spin, but soon they become uneventful. It isn't abnormal to enter and recover from three spins after a 1500ft launch!

Moral: confront your fears in a controlled environment, and you'll find you can avoid/deal with the situation as appropriate.