PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CPL in an RA-Aus aircraft
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2010, 07:24
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
There's a thing called the Dova Skylark (or somesuch) which is capable of RA registry, is retractable, does 120 knots and could be fitted with a constant speed prop.
BUT, if it is registered RA it can't fly at night or IMC, so how could all the elements of the CPL flying syllabus be ticked off? Attempting to do the entire CPL in such light, low inertia aircraft does not prepare one adequately for that first commercial job where you could be hauling tourists around in a C210. Go for something with a bit of weight, a bit of grunt and a modicum of complexity and just suck up the extra costs.
I would NEVER employ a pilot who had not at least flown a reasonable number of hours in an aeroplane approaching the power, complexity and weight of whatever I had in the fleet. In the same way I would NEVER employ a pilot who took the 'softcock' option of getting a CPL or ATPL in some more lenient country to circumvent the CASA standards. Which are already about as low as they need to go. RA is great for those who want to play with their toys and enjoy a minimum of regulatory interference, but the culture is not right for budding CPLs.
Bring back taildraggers, and 3 hour written nav papers with Mercator sailings, and Morse code, and the VAR. GPS navigation indeed....pussies, all pussies. There was a time when the CPL/ATPL was made deliberately difficult to discourage the weak, meek and inept. Charles Darwin, where are you? Harumph. Rant over.