PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAL Pilot Exodus
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2010, 13:10
crash&burn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess the question to be asked is what is the bigger picture? Where is all this headed?

When the noise dies down and the media mileage is expended, what will the picture look like? Is there a grand scheme or all just an accidental string of events.

On a parochial scale, will pilot pay be increased significantly to stem the tide? Or will we see implementation of more punitive or restrictive measures against the free flow of labor within the industry? (Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe even CebuPacmanagement is for restricting the exodus of pilots by endorsing previous legislation).

On a bigger scale. the resignations, impending cabin crew strike and opposition to contractualize ground personnel could all be used again to declare bankruptcy and more easily "streamline" the company allowing it to immediately effect the long-planned downsizing (of ground personnel) and laying off (God-forbid) redundant (aka older and striking) cabin crew. Is the plan to split the domestic operations into the LCC Airphil and leave regional/international operations to PAL? (Split or transfer assets so the Marcoses may recover less?)

PAL may be bleeding but he's not been willing to sell it (aside from the bogus SMC overture, there was an actual offer from a Middle Eastern sovereign fund, unimpeachable sources tell me, that ownership rejected). So all this press release about waiting for a white knight is a ruse. And the merger with Phillip Morris gave LT a lot of cash so he has money. Is it just a pride thing or is there something more?

More questions...