PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entry to PPL.
Thread: Entry to PPL.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 06:04
24Carrot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
... would probably only scrape together enough cash to purchase an hours flying time per month ...
A couple of points:

At this rate, getting the license would take well over 4 years, unless your learning is stellar, and the weather, etc is perfect. But you also talk about paying in full up-front, so I assume you are talking about the ongoing cost post-PPL.

One way to stretch the hours post-PPL is to fly places with another PPL buddy, one leg each. No extra hours to log, but it should help with currency, safety, workload and be more fun. And pilot pax are easier to please!

On the pre-pay: some schools do offer a Gertrude-style discount for just staying in credit (much less drastic than paying everything up front). I have done this - I suppose it helps the school avoid bad debts, and gets you in and out of Ops faster. But I did that PPL in 6 months, so my effective interest savings rate was very high. (Divide total discount on all the lessons by average credit balance times length of course, then multiply by 100).