PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airblue down near Islamabad
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2010, 20:20
Meekal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They won't install the ILS on 12 at OPRN because a new airport is being built out west near the city of Fathejang -- with thankfully no high ground around.

I don't know about Karachi or Lahore but they will say that at OPRN it would be a 'waste of money' (even though some of our aid donor's would happily install one for us with a non-debt-creating grant).

The 'kick-back' factor on a grant would come into play as well. I know government well.

I know it is a circle-to-land on 12 after letting down on the ILS to 30. But it seems we are not even sure he was doing that.

When I spoke of the arc I was mentally truncating the circle to define only its most critical points: the arc that is defined by the immediate proximity to the Margalla hills. Once you are past that arc of the circle and on base, you are OK.

I apologize for being unclear.

The excellent diagram with the approach plate superimposed on it is all over the inter-net. I thank you folks for drawing it.

I don't know who the rather hysterical gentleman from Pakistan is in case anyone thinks he is a side-kick. For starters, he should learn how to type.

The media in Pakistan has not done a mature job of reporting this accident. It has been very sensationalistic. I have tried to tell them it is pretty much the same in the west with TV stations and reporters camped outside the front door of dead pilots -- or those who lost their lives.

I have one question: wasn't he under radar control? Radar vectoring at OPRN is quite good as I am sure those who have been there will attest. I have heard many times on my VHF receiver 'thank you sir, that was a great job' or words of praise to that effect.

So what happened this time?