PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airblue down near Islamabad
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2010, 15:26
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Slickster:

I totally agree with you. There is nothing difficult about flying a circling approach as long as you are well trained and up to date with the procedure.

I have spent a huge amount of my life teaching pilots to fly circling approaches. I can also honestly state that I have personally done a hell of a lot of circling approaches for real and in anger. (Some of you out there might just find it difficult to imagine that all we had in the old days was an NDB let down to visual followed by a hand flown circle to land).

Nowadays, you have a decent auto pilot to make life easier for you but it is still a procedure that needs a very thorough briefing before commencing the approach.

Let me reinforce something that several others have mentioned in previous posts. It is NOT repeat NOT a requirement to keep the runway in sight throughout the procedure.

What IS required is to keep the runway "ENVIRONMENT" in sight throughout the procedure (but not necessarilly the runway per se) but it is absolutely VITAL that you do not leave circling height until the runway or the approach lights are in sight.

(If some of you out there are finding it difficult to understand that concept, let me give you an example. If you were circling at night at Liverpool, you would easily be able to see the ramp lights on the downwind leg but the runway lights themselves would not always be visible in the background).

The trouble nowadays is that whilst in the old days, circling approaches were very common, the modern button-pushers simply cannot cope with combining their button-pushing empire with a good-old "take the auto pilot out and enjoy a nice hand-flown exercise".

One thing I know for a fact is that Ryanair pilots, with their company's affection for using downtown airfields, are probably the last bastion of hand-flying and making circling approaches.