PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airblue down near Islamabad
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2010, 14:02
Slickster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, Jeez, i don't often feel compelled to reply to a thread, but this one is doing my head in!

Circling approaches? Yes, a more challenging situation than an automated coupled approach to an ILS, but not beyond the wit of man/pilot, and not worthy of diversion. Now, I used to fly the 747, and my eyes would be out on stalks if someone asked me to do a circling into Genoa, or Pisa on that thing. I daresay, it could be done, but it was just not the "done thing". Fortunately, we, and nobody else went there on those craft.

On the other hand, I now fly the 737, and get plenty of practice at NPAs, the occasional visual, and the even more rare circling (even for me!). As I said before, it is not beyond the wit of us. it's a visual manoeuvre - your aircraft can do it; you proved that in base training, if you can remember that! Even better, can you remember flying into into the circuit in your puddle jumper? It ain't that much different, except now, everything happens faster, but you also have all sorts of gizmos to help you, and another person.

This talk of banning circling approaches is pathetic. They're not ideal, but then lots of our working lives are not. Grow up. Fly the aeroplane (isn't that why you became a pilot?). I don't often side with 411a, but I'm with him on this, and you'll be shocked to hear (411a) that I grew in the FMS environment.

Practice makes perfect, and that is why my eyes would be on stalks on the Jumbo, being asked to this; more than likely you haven't been there for over a year, or, indeed, never. However, no bother for me now, and shouldn't have been a problem for shorthaul Pakistani pilots flying into an airport in their own country.

None of this talk of "macho". I enjoy my job, and like to practice my skills, but I am more than aware of the people behind me, and make the appropriate decisions (I hope). I don't particularly want to die, either, then have my name dragged through the Papers.

Last edited by Slickster; 2nd Aug 2010 at 14:22.