PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Airtex/Skymaster AOC suspended
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2010, 13:45
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had the mixture control on an engine jam in the ICO position on a mulit engine aeroplane.
Some instructors see no problem at all with cutting the mixture to simulate engine failure in a multi-engine aircraft after take off. The fact that the failed engine may not re-start instantly doesn't faze them one bit. And if it doesn't start instantly when the mixture is re-set to Rich, the the situation becomes worse than critical because now the prop is windmilling and the speed drops back real fast and the aircraft descends. Do this trick at 200 feet after lift off and an accident looms. The Camden Duchess fatal is a case in point. And by the way the student in that accident did not die three months later. He was very much alive several years later because I talked to him.

Yet, ask the same instructors to cut the mixture of a single engine aircraft after take off at 500 feet to test the students judgement on selection of a suitable forced landing area straight ahead and the answer would be "you must be bloody joking"

When asked why the shocked response the instructor would doubtless say because the engine might not restart when the mixture is reset to Rich.

So a good lawyer would say" Well., my friend, if you are concerned that it is feasable the engine may not start being a single engine aircraft, would not the same risk apply if you cut the mixture after take off on a multi-engine aircraft (think Seminole or Duchess). And if that happens, and the prop is windmilling because the engine failed to start, you are up the proverbial creek without a paddle. And why is this so? Because you will NEVER climb after take off with one prop windmilling and by the time you realise things have gone wrong it might be too late to feather - since you spent all that time trying to restart the mixture cut engine"

So think about that when you risk your neck to be "realistic" and counting on the engine re-starting following a deliberate mixture cut in a twin..