PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airblue down near Islamabad
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2010, 15:59
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOAC;
PJ - I fully understand what flying in those conditions is like - they are by no means unknown to me - the point was that I can see virtually nothing of the 'road' and thus cannot resolve the puzzle of the location being '2nm EAST' of the crash site as I would surmise they flew into the rocky cliff face on the same track as they were following to the site and hence I cannot understand your comment about a 'turn radius'.
Sorry, yes I knew you were more than familiar with the scenario...didn't mean to be pedantic...I see what you mean now and didn't explain my thinking very well...

I was considering that a left turn was made towards the west at that point I show in the graphic which is right at the mountains. What I meant by "turn radius" was a turn to the west for the "runway", and that an earlier turn would have missed the hills and a later turn would have placed the point of impact further north given a rate of turn at maneuvering speeds...so again, a SCWAG and I realize what a huge stretch in thinking this is at this point in whatever investigation is going on.

On the impact speed, this has all the hallmarks of "surprise", so if TOGA and a pull-up were used, it is likely only at the last second. I think it is reasonable to assume that the impact speed was close to maneuvering speeds - I recall reading somewhere that a witness in the NNE area stated the gear was down - so, "Config 2, gear down", 180kts +/- ?

I sure hope something is released shortly - any news on the recorders?

PJ2