PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airblue down near Islamabad
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2010, 02:15
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I made this very crudely-done graphic at the same time I did the others which showed a possible location of the crash site.

This view is looking southwest, (out the captain's side/rear window on a track about 30 - 40deg offset to the "right" of the approach to 30, (track of about 330 - 340deg), just approaching the hills, about 2nm east of the crash site. The street barely seen is Abdul Rashead Rd or 7th Avenue.

A turn radius which would take the aircraft to the crash site may indicate an earlier "sighting" of "the runway" than this, given the visibility at the time.

This IS a theory, not a suggestion or a plot of the track the aircraft may have taken.

As we all know, regardless of a reported visibility of "2nm", visibility is never suddenly fully obscured at 2nm - local rain showers, scud and all sorts of illusions will vary visibility and local features and "a willingness to fill in the obscurities", can play tricks on a mind set on "finding the runway" once lost.

I suspect that there are a set circumstances in which each of us may be similarly deceived by our senses even though some may believe otherwise. Looking inside and interpreting the NAV display map and trying to then make sense of what is seen outside is a tenuous endeavour.

Again - this is most certainly just a thought. Who knows what happened?

Regarding interim reporting, release of information, invitation/participation of other countries who will have recognized legitimate interests and representations here, I very much hope the Pakistani authorities adhere to the ICAO Annex 13 requirements. They are signatory, after all.

PJ2

Last edited by PJ2; 1st Aug 2010 at 02:30. Reason: correct the runway & headings I first posted