PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Britbashing
Thread: Britbashing
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2002, 01:22
SASless

Received 561 Likes on 230 Posts
Tropicopter....

The founding fathers freely mentioned the concept of a nation being "under God" and did so in many documents. My interpetation of the intent of the Constitution and Bill of Rights is that there would be no " state sponsored religion " ,meaning a particular sect, or form of religious doctrine and ritual.

I am not supportive of the judge's decision as it is written.....and if you read the facts of the case, most reasonable people would not support it either. The case stems from a doctor suing the government over his concern that his third grade daughter (being raised in his atheistic home) was being unfairly discriminated against by being exposed to the pledge of allegiance to the flag while in school. He said she felt intimidated and was coecrced into saying the pledge.

Somehow, the image of big burly cops, standing over the child with sticks or something, making her repeat this horrible pledge just doesn't seem to ring true. All he had to do was approach the school board and request that she not have to uttter those offensive words...."under God".

If she wanted , all she had to do was remain silent and state she objected on grounds that she was an atheist and the school would not have persisted. This was a radical using our system to further his political cause. Do you reasonably think a second or third grade child can formulate this concept of "God" or have a driving need to be an "atheist" or was this more her father being the individual involved here.

I watched an interview of this idiot on the Telly....and was impressed with him no end. He spent 3,000 hours of work doing the suit....and now intends to pursue other issues along the same line. Even the interviewer was ....how I can say it....errrr...disdainful of the good doctor's motives, explanations, and cause.

One must also recall, the circuit court in California is the most liberal in the country and the decision is subject to review by the Supreme Court. Also, the court has reconsidered its decision in the aftermath of all the uproar the decision caused.

So the answer is "NO"....leave the currency alone...leave the pledge alone....leave the school kid alone....if you believe in "God" fine, if you do not..."Fine..." That is what religious freedom is all about......not a freedom "from" religion.