PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airblue down near Islamabad
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2010, 14:19
A4

Ut Sementem Feeceris

Received 157 Likes on 32 Posts
Greetings Crunch

I can see why you think my answer is "politically correct". We live in a litigious society and those of us in the LHS must always remember that. We are responsible and answerable for our decisions and actions. If we choose to rapidly rebrief "on the hoof" for an unexpected circling approach in cr@p wx and something goes wrong, if you survive you better have a good explanation. I agree that there is no need to recompute landing distance on a 2700m runway but on the 'bus you do need to ensure the Secondary flight plan is set up correctly (for groundspeedmini computation). This doesn't take long but could be a distracter if PF is monitoring an inexperienced FO to ensure he's doing it right ....... and who knows, suddenly your 7 miles on your ILS break-off heading......

I mentioned non-technical skills previously. We need to recognise when it is and is not appropriate to press on or "take 5" and ensure you're ready. I've seen it in the sim numerous times - getting the balance between prioritisation and maintaining standards a bit skewed.

It doesn't sound encouraging regarding the release of factual information on this one which is a pity because it looks like there could be some fundamental lessons we could learn.

A4